Basement

The Haunted Basement is a maze that runs under the entire store. After the great fire of 1903the space where St Elmo’s faced Subway street was sandwichd between the old drugstore that survived the fire, and the bank building where you enter now.

According to our deed, all three lots were joined into one building overhead in 1910, and the architectural firm kept building and adding two more buildings and the newer bank downhill, renumbering at the start of Main Street where the railroad & station used to be.

It is whispered there was a burial ground under the center mass where the original St Elmo’s pub stood before the fire.

When they rebuilt, it was moved up onto Brewery Gulch, where they have served alcohol uninterrupted through prohibition and two world wars, until now, to keep the miners happily providing copper for arms production.

Our basement contains another small vault with records for sale, household goods, tools, furniture, and lots of bottles & mugs for sale, as well as a huge collection of books.